For the past couple of years, I have been working with/tutoring a boy who is now in 6th grade, and sometimes his older brother. During the school year, we meet on Saturday mornings, and they come at 8:00 (their choice of times for anyone who is wondering). So, I'm usually up around 6:30 on Saturday mornings. I went into the home office around 7:00 this morning to check my e-mail, and the following picturesque beginning to my day happened: Coming from the alfalfa field on the right were two mama deer and two fawns (still having light white spots and 'longish' white bouncy tails) just kinda leisurely grazing on the alfalfa, then walking over to a tree and mama eating some leaves. They started acting a little weird, looking up, etc., and I wasn't sure what they saw.
Pretty soon, from the left, coming around the back of the house are three large turkeys, which I figure out to be 2 females and 1 male, and...I counted them....17 baby turkeys! One mama and some babies stopped in my yard, daddy male stood in the middle, and the other mama and some babies walked on and stopped on the other side.
Before long, the deer and the turkeys were intermingled. Daddy turkey raising his tail feathers, looking all ferocious and all, baby deer wanting to explore and sniff and ultimately play with the turkeys, but the turkeys not so into the idea, jumping at the deer, making the babies leap....it was like a big 'ole nature playground. It was so cool!
Allison saw the turkeys later when she and her dad were walking to the radio station and told me they were playing "follow the leader" and having a parade.
When the dad came for pick up, he said they had to 'chase' the turkeys off the front porch. :)
No, I didn't go get my camera to take a picture -- a) it would have scared them all off probably had they heard me open the door to go outside to get a good shot, and b) I have soooo many pictures of deer and turkeys that I have taken, but I've never really done anything with them. But, it sure is a neat memory.
16 years ago






No comments:
Post a Comment