Search This Blog

Friday, September 26, 2008

I think I like 7th and 8th graders....huh?

...did I say that? :) Yes, I did. In general, actually they scare the bejeebers out of me, but I have subbed the last two days in the 7th & 8th grades at Allison's school, and I love those kids. They are soooo well-behaved. Oh, sure, they are young teenagers/adolescents, and they are still goofy and can be naughty or do kid stuff, but they know when it's time to settle down and get to work, etc. I've known these particular kids, this particular group, for several years, and that definitely helps. When I first started teaching or when I had finished student teaching and subbed that following semester, I dreaded anytime I went and subbed in junior high school. So, this is refreshing that I look forward to subbing for these kids.

Today was Homecoming for MHS, so a lot of the kids were coming and going with band practice, leaving to prepare for parade, and then ultimately the entire school walked downtown to see the homecoming parade. The afternoon was pretty much a lost cause, but such it is. Bruce took Allison to the parade, and she really enjoyed it.

The local United Bank always holds a "Tailgate Party" in the park across the street right before the Homecoming game every year. KNDY usually does their coach's corner with the football coach from the party, and broadcast it, and I have had to "hold the phone" at the speaker the last three or four years. This year I did the same thing, however, Bruce was the one doing the interviewing this year; it had been another guy who had worked for him in the past. So that was neat; plus Allison was old enough this year to stay with me and "help" me or at least be well behaved and listen and watch her dad work. Bruce had to leave shortly thereafter to go to Hanover to broadcast their football game, so ALlison and I stayed at the party for awhile. They had the homecoming candidaates there; alumni band; cheerleaders (which ALlison liked); she also liked the band and she danced to their music. United Bank gave away drawings of seat cushions, and then they gave away a BUNCH of tee-shirts. I wasn't going to go "storm" the trailer to get one as i figured i didn't need a tee-shirt that bad, but of course Allison wanted one. So, we got one; they are really nice tee-shirts that have Marysville Bulldogs on the front and United Bank & Trust on the back. Neither one of us have a Bulldog shirt, so we do now. Plus Allison's is a Medium, so she will be able to grow into it! :) She had alot of fun, and we were able to go play in the city park, which was right there too. There were a bunch of older kids for awhile, and we left when most of them left to go to the game. Came home and took a bath to get all of the dirty sand off of her feet and legs, and watched a Bob the Builder video (her new favorite...she LOVES Bob the Builder.).

No comments: