Search This Blog

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Movie Matinee Sunday

I did something this afternoon that I don't think I have ever done. I went to two movies, one right after another, at the movie theater. I went to see Slumdog Millionaire and He's Just Not That Into You. SM is in it's last week at the theater here in town, and HJNTIY is here for only one week. The way the past few weeks have gone, and as busy as Bruce has been and away from home, I figured I needed to take advantage of him being home and being able to watch Allison.

I went to HJNTIY at 1:00. It was enjoyable. It had a lot of different scenarious of relationships, wanna be relationships and so on. The one that was the most disturbing to me was the man faced with cheating on his marriage to his wife, fighting it, saying that he loved his wife and was committed to her, telling the other woman no, and then a scene starting by showing him waiting for the other woman in bed. Unnerving.

SM won an Oscar this year for Best Picture. I really didn't now what to expect, just that it was supposed to be good. It was good. It was pretty intense. When it was over, I felt myself let out a deep breath. The scenes shot is Mumbai, India, were very unnerving and sad. The conditions those people must live in is just horrible. We have absolutely no idea what it must be like over there, or at least I had no ideas these kind of abhorant conditions, especially in a country that I thought was more industrialized than it appears to be. A country where the US is outsourcing so many jobs. The story of a young man's love for a woman, and what he goes through in order to find her again and reconnect with her is lovely.

1 comment:

AuBien said...

I heard something on the radio this week about the children in the movie. The producers had given the family a substantial amount of money in order for them to have a better life. Someone in the government is said to have confiscated the money from the family and now the children are back in the terrible conditions they were in before the movie. I haven't seen the movie yet (I rarely go to the theatre) but there has definitely been a lot of press about it.