Okay, here goes...back the first part of January 2010, Creating Keepsakes opened up registration for classes for the St. Louis Convention. If you go to their website, and click on Events, you will see a list for the year of different locations of the conventions across the country. They open the class offerings and the online registrations at different times, just depending on when the convention begins. I think there is some place to sign up for a newsletter or something to notify you of when different things happen. So, waaay back in January I registered and paid for 8 classes that I was going to take based on the descriptions given on the website. A few weeks before the convention begins, online registration is closed, and you then have to wait until the convention to see if there are any classes still open. When I went to Kansas City, I think I basically go all of the classes that I ever wanted, but I do know that there were quite a few of them that sold out. One year, the founding editor of the magazine, Lisa Bearnson, came to Kansas City, and her stuff sold out almost immediately. I don't know if St. Louis had a lot more space so thus more class openings or what, but there were just a few sold out classes (and there were TONS of people there).
When I got to the convention center Friday morning about 8:30/9:00, I went to the check in booth and picked up my envelope with my tickets in it. In there also were two tickets for door prize entries (one for Friday, and one for Saturday), two wristbands (one for Friday, and one for Saturday), and an Early Entry Vendor Faire ticket for Friday. I also received a nice paper pack.
At 9:00, the large vendor faire floor opened for early admittance; people could get a free early admission tickets if they had purchased so many classes ahead of time, or I believe you could pay extra ahead of time, I don't remember. It opened at 10:00 to the 'general admission/public' for their shopping. I remember in Kansas City there were a lot of people but it was a lot less crowded at the early admission time, and if there were any vendor make 'n takes it was easier to get a seat at one. I have to admit that I was really in awe of the number of people in line to the early admittance. It went cllllleeeaaaarrrr down the hallway of the convention center (which was a very long way). It took several minutes to get all of the people through the doors. It was actually quite something. In fact, I thought it was almost as crowded during that first hour as it was at any point in the two-day period (and it was pretty generally crowded).
In addition to the variety of classes and the shopping available, there were also crops scheduled in the evenings. I have never done to any of those (primarily because Bruce has usually gone to town with me, and I need to spend the evenings with him), but it sounds like a lot of fun, especially if you have some girlfriends that go together.
No strollers or tote bags on wheels are allowed in the vendor hall or the classrooms I don't think (for safety and space sake). So, each convention will have some sort of bag check service, normally run by some sort of local charity to raise money. I've never used it before, but I actually did this year. For whatever reason, I bought the CKU in a box, and got the baby album with it, and it was large and bulky and hard to carry, and plus I didn't want to carry it in classes. I was NOT thinking. I could have bought it right before I left the building that night as they still had plenty they were selling. I would've/should've/could've taken the risk...but I didn't. So, I checked those items at the booth...it was $3 for one day, and $5 for two days.
One thing to consider when going to the convention is what type of bag/purse to carry. If you take classes, you will need to take some basic supplies; some classes will also note that you might need to bring a specific special tool along, etc. Plus, if you take classes and plan to do a little shopping, you will want something to carry the items around. If you drive and park, you might be able to walk and take things to your car. But, you really wouldn't know how far away you would have to walk or if you would have time between classes, etc.
I struggled with what to take. I ended up taking this:
I got this bag at a convention a couple of years ago. I like it; it was actually designed to carry Sizzixlits alphabet dies boxed sets, but I don't use it for that. A package of 12x12 paper or kit fits in there well. I carried my supplies in it, etc. The straps were basically long enough that I could carry it over my shoulder.
Regarding carrying supplies, however. I learned early on that it was a pain the keep digging out the little stuff: the adhesive, refills, inks, scissors, etc. I found this handy dandy little item and it helped a lot:
I found this in a booth for just $4.50, and it was perfect for carrying the little essentials. It's like a miniature tackle box. With the limited space at the tables in the classes, it certainly did save time and space with having tools spread all over or digging for them in the middle of a class out of the larger bag on the floor, etc.
Regarding classes, they were wonderful, a lot of fun, and lots of ideas to get my creative juices flowing again, which was just what I needed. I will post more on the individual classes in other posts. I really hope someone finds them interesting :)






No comments:
Post a Comment