Search This Blog

Friday, January 22, 2010

Haiti

What a sad week, week and a half.... Let's see, what was it, about a week ago last Tuesday that the HUGE earthquake struck the island of Haiti, specifically the region with the capital Port-au-Prince. The first several days I just couldn't bring myself to watching the news channels. I heard bits and pieces on the radio bleeps, and it sounded horrid. Finally last Saturday I watched CNN for several hours. Since then I watch bits and pieces. There was a telethon on most of the television stations tonight hosted and manned by celebrities, containing many musical acts, etc. They had interjected in areas different stories of rescue, etc.

I cannot even imagine the terror and fear and sadness of the people of Haiti. As I see the children...the children...of Haiti, I just want to cry. The poor children. These children have lost their mommies and daddies....they are so young they really don't understand what is truly going on...they can't possibly. Then on top of it...no mom and dad anymore. All this devastation around them....all these strangers, strangers of a different language many times, different skin color, etc.

I have felt an overwhelming need to do something since the earthquake. It is a feeling that continue to gnaw at me inside my heart. I can't say I've felt this before. Even when the tsunami in Asia or the hurricane in New Orleans... Yes, I felt bad for those situations, felt that people needed to be supported, etc., but not this NEED to DO something....... I almost will go out on a limb and say that God is trying to communicate SOMETHING to me.... I really feel a need to help these children...these sweet little faces with the chubby cheeks and white teeth and beautiful eyes....needing the love of a mommy in their lives.... I don't see Bruce ever consenting to it, but I think I need to see what it will take to adopt the orphans from Haiti....

No comments: