Hwy 36 runs across the entire state of Kansas, from the Kansas/Missouri line to the Kansas/Colorado line (and into both of those states, too, technically). A couple of years ago, the Highway 36 Committee came up with the Treasure Hunt concept. We had been to something similar in Texas a few years ago. It is quite something down there. It has not reached those heights here yet, but it is still impressive. Marysville chose to have their city-wide garage sales this weekend, and I think other communities did too. I think I heard there were at least 62 garage sales on a published map in Marysville, and I know that we didn't put ours on the map, so I'm assuming there were even more than 62.
We were not able to start already on Friday, as I got called to substitute teach, but we opened up around 8:30 Saturday morning (after hauling boxes and junk down to Bruce's dad's house on the highway - for great exposure :)... We went through Saturday late afternoon/early evening, boxed up and put in the house; then Sunday morning, went to church, had lunch, and opened up around 1:00 through about 6:00 p.m.
When we boxed up again at the end of the day on Sunday, I could tell that we had sold enough that several boxes were able to be combined, BUT there were definitely still A LOT leftover. What a mixed bag of emotions...glad that so much was sold and gotten rid of and moved to someone else's home, but yet going 'golly, there is still a lot of crap left'.... We had TONS of Allison's old clothes that she had outgrown, and kids clothes go well, but unless you physically hand them out free to someone, there are still a lot of leftovers.
All in all, yes, it was a successful weekend. ALthough poor little Allison was pretty much exhausted then from having so many days straight of go-go-go. She went to school with me on Thursday when I subbed preschool, so she went to school Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, up early Saturday and working hard on the sale, by Saturday night she was hoarse and a little coughing with congestion. She woke her dad up overnight with a lot of congestion and coughing and having a tough time breathing. I left her in bed Sunday to rest up while I went to Sunday School and church.
Thankfully, Allison was up and ready to go Monday, going to school, dance, and finally tumbling last night. To the point that she was really really wound up and annoying last night just before bed!






No comments:
Post a Comment