Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Seattle Vacation - Day 5

Last full day of vacation...nothing really planned today other than to see something outside of Seattle proper. Since we had driven up to Marysville Monday evening, we decided to head out from there of course. We stopped at the Visitor's Center there but they didn't really have anything to tell us. We stopped at the Boeing Future of Flight plant along the way. Allison was too short to go on the tour, but there was some visitor's information there. Bruce found a brochure on Whidbey Island. It looked interesting, it wasn't far from where we were, and ..what the heck....

Something fun....we got to drive the car onto a ferry and ferry across to the island...not something that one gets to do when they live in Kansas. On the ferry........Here is a picture from the ferry looking back at the lighthouse...I can't remember what the area was called...I remember something as being "Clinton" but I think that's actually where we got onto the island. This is still on the "mainland"
Getting off the ferry. The island was about 35 miles or so long.
We stopped for lunch in a town called Coupeville, the second oldest town in Washington. We went to the museum where there was a really wonderfully nice older lady who told us different things. These pictures are of the water and the town.
Saw this as we were leaving the island and starting the drive back down toward Seattle. It was just a really pretty sight.
Driving back to Seattle was a trip. We got a hotel reservation near the airport so we will be ready to fly out on Wednesday. The drive that was estimated at 39 minutes was actually an hour and a half. We sat still for quite a few times. It was quite something. I cannot for the life of me imagine living in an area where you would spend so much of your time in traffic. What is the draw of it? I realize that there are many, many more things to see and do in the large city, but it just seems like so much of a life spent daily in traffic. Wow. I told Bruce that it seems that you would get home from work, go to bed, and turn around and do the same thing in the morning.


1 comment:

Badalicat said...

I wish you could have gone on the boeing tour, its amazing! driving is always a challange on I5 or 405, we even have songs around here about it. I just avoid it! I am glad you guys had a great time and that it was "ok" weather for you! its much better in the summer when you can play in the water!