Search This Blog

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Seattle Vacation - Day 3

Another day of touristy activities for the travelers in Seattle. Another day of basically pretty good weather, too. It's cloudy and kind of overcast but it was about 50 degrees and it DIDN'T rain, so that's a good thing.

We started out bright and early again this morning, around 9:00ish, which is bright and early for ME! :) We took the car out today because we were going to be making three stops and it seemed like a lot to ask to traipse the entire thing, although I suppose it could've been entirely possible with the help of the Monorail. Interestingly enough, we leave the hotel, drive down the street, and lo and behold but what's going on again? Yep another running race. These people must run these marathon things like every day in this city. It was miles and miles and people running! ...and we looked around the blocks for quite aways (it's hard to describe it), but there were people running for what looked like miles! I thought about how frustrating it has to be to be clear back in the back!!! :) So, here we are being detoured, but we did pretty well in a city of lots of one-way streets.

Our first stop on the agenda was the Seattle Aquarium. I had really been looking forward to this, as I really enjoy looking at fish and different types of sea nature (when it doesn't freak me out that is! :) LOL) I remember just loving the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago when we had been there. If I lived in a city with an aquarium I think I would buy a season pass because I just love sitting and watching the fish. Allison, on the other hand, while she enjoys looking at the fish, too, she's more happy quickly walking through..."Com'on mom, let's go!" Serves us right I suppose after telling her, Allison come on, over here, let's go, etc.

When we first walked into the aquarium, they were just finishing up a 'show' in this large glass floor to ceilling wall with two scuba divers, etc. It looked like it would've been pretty interesting. The divers had microphones so they could tell what they were doing. Allison dug out her new camera to take pictures. So of course I had to take a picture of her taking a picture.
One of my favorite things to see at an aquarium is the sea lions or seals or any of those kind of things.


Allison and daddy on the harbor otters bench.
Some of the seals.
Just so cute!
These two were not performers who wanted to be seen, unfortunately....they kind of hid out under their dock, but we did get to see their little heads sticking out.


And then we caught this one who had jumped up on the dock, but as soon as he/she saw us, he/she did a double roll and was back in the water again. But soooo cute....
Looking out into the harbor from the harbor seals encampment.


While we were walking through one of the hallways, you can look up and see all these fish above you...I think they are sardine...I think....
These guys are one of my most favorite sea creatures....sea horses. I think they are so intriguing as to how they glide through the water. They have no "fins" or arms or whatever...they just wiggle through. It was cool seeing them using their 'tail'(?) to attach themselves to a tree/greenery to remain stationary and I assume rest maybe?
Another fascinating creature! The octopus. So ugly, but so amazing. Seeing the 'suckers' and the ugly ugly head....
The starfish were in the 'touching area'. It took two trips by this exhibit to finally coax Allison to touch them. I touched them the first time by, and I was intrigued by how hard they do feel, especially after being told how they eat their food, etc. and seeing how they do move their 'arms'. Amazing...Allison did finally touch one after daddy touched one.
When we left the aquarium, we drove to Pioneer Square just a few blocks away. There are very interesting stories about this section of the city and the settling of the city of Seattle. It's too long to post here, but basically because it is settled close to the water's edge, there was a lot of flooding, etc. To deal with all the issues that come with that, different plans were made, things were done, and many failed, some worked. One thing was that businesses initally built in the late 1800s had tall walls built around them, and the street was actually built elevated around them. It's hard to imagine, but there is a 33-block area in this neighborhood that is underground. There are still storefronts, sidewalks, etc. down below. We went on a tour called "The Underground"....it did take us walking under the ground. To most degree it looked like walking through a bunch of basements, and we had to use our imagination quite a bit, but to see the outlines of the first floors of buildings, and know that people are now walking in what used to be second floor windows, but are now the first floors of businesses, is pretty interesting. This was the starting place of our tour (remember my camera doesn't do well in poor lighting indoors).It was between these pictures that I dropped my camera outside. Yep, right on the sidewalk. Not good. It still works, but it has now developed some definite idiosyncrasies.
Looking up at skylights that are in the roof/sidewalk of the underground.
Upon completion of our underground tour, we went back down to the harbor front and took the harbor tour that was part of our City Pass. It was pretty interesting. We heard a lot of the same history of Seattle, and Allison was pretty restless after being such a good girl the rest of the day, even though she said she was looking forward to going on the boat. I don't think it must've been entirely what she thought it would be.
We did get to see a bald eagle, a sea lion, a big crane off loading semi trailer boxes, ferries transporting people and cars........

Allison will some day kill me for posting this photograph. I tried to take it so that the bare bottom would not show, but I didn't quite get it. This was in the morning before we left the hotel for the day. Obviously we had just gotten up out of bed, and Allison was still in half of her pajamas. She bought some postcards, and she was very excited to be writing them to her family and friends. It was just such a cute scene...she was so serious about her work.


No comments: